Monday, October 25, 2010

And the Beet Goes On...

A tag after my own heart...
It's been awhile vegetable friends. I fell off my weathered butternut saddle, or rather was dragged off by multiple varieties of invasive species. Lover of weedy diversity that I am, I welcomed these insistent offshoots that led my energies down paths of food history, of ecology, of poetic proprieties, of Giants baseball.

A storm of deadlines blasted this neglected terrain, and I missed a few beets. But the fall sprouts have unfurled their greeny tendrils out of the freshly drenched soil, and Weird Veg is back. There will be radish balloons, clowns sad and happy, zoo trains, contests, salad sideshows and raw food rodeos.

The Giants are in the World Series and the beet goes on...


Even pedestrian bridges have been known
to sprout beets in times of urban need 


No comments: