Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Saving weird veggies, one freak at a time

The New York Times is treading on our territory, reporting on the efforts of one Gary Paul Nabhan, a man with a plan to save out-of-the-ordinary plants and animals in danger of disappearing from dinner plates everywhere. In retaliation, I stole their dreamy photo of moon and stars watermelon (above).

Thanks to my brother Stephen for tipping me off to the article. He writes, "Moon and stars watermelon? Near-extinct vegetables and fruits that are saved by people eating more of them? Sounds like a case for Weird Vegetables." Totally.

The article, "To Save a Species, Serve it for Dinner," is here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am I the only one who reads this blog? Love, your brother Stephen.

kale daikon said...

Yes, besides Erin and myself. And that's why I love you.

omar said...

No way! I just found it. Awesome blog!

I have one too. but its mainly fanboy nerd movie reviews. not enough of those on the interweb!

kale daikon said...

Oh, you're so sweet. I was just fishing for more comments, of course. Thanks for coming out of the woodwork, tromar.

Anonymous said...

Well, it's been a while since anybody's left a comment, but thought I'd do so, so that you'll know that other people have fallen into your blog as well. Am trying to find sources/lists of extinct fruits and vegetables, but now I'm craving watermelon!